The summer residency is designed to help you:
Learn how to thrive in a college environment
Experience living away from home and your family
Create lifelong relationships with academically-motivated peers
Build community with new friends and mentors
Challenge yourself in a college and experience personal growth in a supportive environment
You will live in USC residential housing on campus and be paired with a roommate who is also from the program. Resident Advisors live on-site to support you and facilitate social activities.
3:1 Scholar to program staff ratio for the Summer Residency
You will be assigned a coach who will provide you with hands-on, individualized support throughout the college application and essay-writing process.
For some exercises, such as your career self-assessment, you will work independently. For most activities, you will work in small groups. For special guest speakers and general-interest lectures, the full USC Bovard Scholars cohort will come together.
On Saturday mornings, you will take a full-length practice exam to simulate the real exam process.
The following are just some of the anticipated sessions and activities during your Summer Residency:
- Picture Your Ideal Life
- Panel discussions with current students and/or recent graduates
- Sample college lectures based on career interests (choose among several)
- Workplace visits (choose among several innovative companies to visit)
- Dinner with industry guests
- College application essay writing workshop
- Undergraduate admissions breakout sessions by school or major
- USC campus tour, highlighting the various student support services available
- High-impact educational practices overview
- SAT/ACT test preparation classes and practice exams
- Integration of self-assessment & industry investigation
- Time management techniques
- Scholarship searches and databases
- Goal-setting exercises
While you will participate in a full slate of daily programming during your three-week residency, we’re incorporating numerous social activities into the schedule to build camaraderie and provide breaks from the intensive learning sessions.
Upon departure from the summer experience, you will continue to work with your dedicated admissions coach throughout your entire college application process.