Whether your dream is clinical practice, lifesaving research, or a combination of both, we’ll help you on your journey toward a career in medicine.
A fully online, no-cost medical school prep program for exceptional pre-med students.
Offered free of charge through Bovard Scholars, the USC Pre-Med Academy is designed for high-achieving health sciences college students and recent graduates who have financial need and lack the resources needed to succeed in the highly competitive medical school application process.
Our flexible, online program is customized to recognize your strengths, connect you with peers, and guide you toward success in the medical school admissions process.
“To increase your chances of successful admission to medical school, you may need to deviate from a one-size-fits-all planning guide. We know what makes a strong application and will work with you to dramatically increase your chances of being admitted.”
– Lisa Mataczynski, Program Director
Guiding You Every Step of the Way
We provide expert counseling and support that help you navigate the highly competitive admissions process for medical school.
You bring your story, your distance traveled, and your passion for a healthcare career. We give you the tools and strategies to become both a strong applicant and a successful medical school student. Whatever your specific goals, life circumstances, or financial situation, we can help you on your path.
You’ll benefit from:
- Personalized, one-on-one mentorship and advising
- Application guidance and preparation—from your personal statement and letters of recommendation to school selection and interviewing
- MCAT prep course, including full-length practice tests and customized study plans
- Workshops that further strengthen your application
- Strategies to help cover your medical school costs
- Interactive sessions with deans of admission, current medical students, learning specialists, and more
- Peer connections around the country to get and give support
You’ll have support from a wide range of admissions experts, medical professionals, and others to guide you throughout your journey.
During workshops and live Q&A sessions, connect with deeply knowledgeable speakers and special guests, and gain access to medical school faculty and staff as well as current medical students and residents.
The USC Pre-Med Academy medical school admissions expert serves on the Admissions Committee at Keck School of Medicine of USC and is the former Director of Admissions at UC Irvine School of Medicine.
Research, Prepare, Apply, Connect
The USC Pre-Med Academy features four components:
- Explore career opportunities
- Access campus resources and support
- Create a customized academic course plan
- Connect with mentors and internships
- Build your résumé and cover letters
- Receive comprehensive MCAT test preparation
- Research potential programs and decide where to apply
- Prepare compelling essays and application materials with expert support
- Identify and apply for financial support and scholarships
- Engage with your advisor for one-on-one support, expertise, and personalized advice
- Finalize your application materials
- Develop and practice interviewing skills
- Review your admission options and choose where to attend
- Engage with industry professionals, medical students and residents, and admission experts
- Build community with other highly talented students
- Participate in peer-led virtual conversations on a wide range of relevant topics
- We invite high-achieving students with a 3.5 GPA or higher who are first-generation college students and/or Pell-eligible with a lack of access to advising, test prep and resources to apply.
- Rising sophomores, juniors, seniors and recent college graduates are encouraged to apply and participate until they apply to medical school. The program is designed to be tailored based when students are admitted.
- We are seeking individuals who demonstrate a commitment and motivation to pursue medicine. This interest can be shown in a variety of ways including but not limited to, taking college-level science courses, job shadowing, or through health-related extracurricular activities.
How to Apply
- You will be asked to submit a copy of your college transcript and a letter of recommendation from a faculty mentor, academic advisor, or research / clinical mentor.
- Admission is competitive and we have limited seating. Applications will be reviewed and admitted on a rolling basis during the open application windows.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis each year in the fall and spring:
|Timeline and Important Dates|
|Admissions Cycle||Program Start Date||Application Opens||Deadline|
|Fall Admissions||Mid-January, 2023||September 19, 2022||November 18, 2022|
|Spring Admissions||September 2023||February 1, 2023||April 30, 2023|
Application Tip: Don’t wait until the deadline to apply. Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis and space is limited!
Hear from our Scholars
“USC Pre-Med Academy provides me with reassurance and confidence that I can succeed in my journey to medical school because I have a support system that feels more personalized than the one my college offers. Advisors take the time to know me as a person and reach out for regular check-ins. Because I do not feel alone in my journey, the medical school process feels less overwhelming.”
Junior at Claremont McKenna College
“Being a first generation student who wants to go into medicine comes with many self-doubts. Having this program to support me brings me ease, knowing I am working with individuals who know the medical school admissions process and are there to guide me along my pre-med journey. This program has demonstrated that we are all unique and all have a story to tell, with one purpose to heal our communities.”
Junior at Cal State University Los Angeles